Friday, March 2, 2012

Baking Challenge Week 9 - Cookies - Lady Grey Shortbread Thins

The cookies challenge was another one that I felt I needed to stretch myself on--the first thing I ever helped my parents make was a batch of sugar cookies at Christmas when I was four or so.  I've made more cookies in my life than cakes or pies or, well, anything.

I've done rolled cookies, piped cookies, pressed cookies.  Hand-formed.  Drop cookies, certainly.  Surprisingly enough, though, I've never had much luck at refrigerator cookies, probably because growing up, the sharpest knife in the house was dull, at best.  My parents didn't take their cooking tools as seriously as I do now!

I also wanted to try tea cookies--I've seen so many versions of Earl Grey cookies over the past few years, and they get rave reviews everywhere.   But I like Lady Grey tea better, and so...

Lady Grey Shortbread Thins
(makes about three dozen)
  • 2 bags Twinings Lady Grey tea
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
  • 1/3 cup powdered sugar
Open the tea bags and grind the leaves finely, either in a spice grinder or with a mortar and pestle.  Whisk the ground tea and salt into the flour.

In another bowl, cream together the butter and powdered sugar.  Gradually add the flour mixture and blend until the dough forms a ball.

Turn the dough out onto a sheet of waxed paper and, using the paper as a guide, form the dough into an even log about  1 1/2" in diameter.  Flatten the log alternately on two sides to form a square shape.   Wrap tightly, chill for at least one hour, or freeze.

When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 F.  Slice the dough 1/4" thick and place the slices on a lightly greased baking sheet, 1" apart (or baking parchment, or silicone baking mats.)  Bake 8-10 minutes, until set and just golden.  Cool on wire racks.

No comments:

Post a Comment