Sunday, April 15, 2012

Baking Challenge Week 15 - Kids - The Best Damn Crispy Treats I've Ever Made



At first I wondered what to do for this challenge, quite a bit, really.  I don't have kids of my own, and my brother's family is too far away to borrow.  A few of my friends do have children, but they're all in the diaper stage--far too young to bake for or with.

Then I thought of doing something I hadn't had since I was a kid, and from there, it was easy!

I used to adore Rice Krispie Treats.  Ate them all the time, learned to make them myself, then made and ate them all the time. Haven't had them since sometime mid-high school, I think:  the pre-packaged ones just aren't as good, with that nasty plastic aftertaste.  Homemade all the way! I never did anything fancy with them, though, like all us food bloggers are doing now.

These are a slight adaptation of smitten kitchen's salted brown butter crispy treats, in that I followed her recipe, but stirred in 1/2 cup of toffee-covered peanuts.  After pressing the mixture into the pan (13x9 instead of her 8x8--I prefer thinner treats to mile-high ones), I decided it didn't look like there were enough peanuts, so I sprinkled about 1/3 cup more on top and used a spatula to flatten them into the treats before they set up.

Sweet, salty, crunchy, and nutty on two levels, we devoured these.  Absolutely destroyed them.  I actually did have to stop us from eating all of them before I could get a picture--and as soon as I took it, we ate the rest.  Why haven't I been making these all along?

No comments:

Post a Comment