Thursday, September 6, 2012

Cooking Challenge Week 34 - Bread - Pizza Pretzel Bites

I discovered this recipe around Super Bowl time when I was looking for something else entirely and stumbled across it on a things-to-make-for-the-Super-Bowl list.  Sadly, I already had my SB menu planned, so it had to wait.

My husband loved them, saying they were "like Combos, but much, much better."  I tried one and thought, they're okay, but not worth the trouble.

What trouble?  Well.  Rolling out tiny pieces of dough and stuffing them with tiny pieces of pepperoni and tiny pinches of shredded cheese was tedious, to say the least.  I knew it wasn't going to be a fast process, but I wasn't quite prepared for just how slow it really was.

Also, I seem to suffer a crippling inability to seal stuffed things properly.  My empanadas ooze, my pasties crack, one of my calzones exploded once, and my char siu bao always seem to leak delicious sauce out the bottom.  What you see in the picture above is all the bites that didn't suffer seal breakage the instant they hit the water bath--less than half of them.  (I only made a half batch to begin with, thankfully.)

It was positively demoralizing to spend all that time making them only to have them fall apart in the water.

So I'd call this one a half-failure.  The ones that worked out were delicious, but I highly doubt I'd be making this again.




No comments:

Post a Comment