Friday, January 6, 2012

Cooking Challenge Week 1 - Eggs - Flan with Blackberry Preserves

I make a lot of quiche--I love quiche.  It's tasty, it's easy, and it's cheap, especially since I can often plan on a late-in-the-week quiche to use up leftovers from the other stuff we've had.

But as I surveyed the offerings already posted to the challenge, it seemed like everyone was making quiche.

My wedding anniversary was two days ago, and I decided to whip up some flan to celebrate, and to fit the challenge.  (We do have a more-than-flan celebration planned as well, don't worry, but that's another post.)

It's the Good Eats flan recipe, made with blackberry preserves.  I'd made it once before with the GE caramel sauce, which was amazing, but I had less time this time, so I went simple.  Too simple, really--I should have melted the preserves before pouring them into the ramekins.  That would have given me a nice, pretty layer on top instead of making craters in the custard.

But they're still delicious.  And there were eight, and there's only two of us, so I had one for breakfast this morning...

...what?  It's mostly egg and milk!  That's breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment