Monday, January 16, 2012

Dump Cake



Yes, that's what it's called.

My mother has a few 70's-era brand cookbooks, and this gem comes to us from Duncan Hines.  I remember making it many times as a kid, but I never actually tried it--I can't abide pineapple.

So why am I making it, even though I won't eat it?  Tomorrow is my mother's birthday, and it's what she asked for.  She faithfully copied out the recipe for me and off I went.

If anyone has any brainstorms regarding potential pineapple replacements, let me know, okay?  I have no problems with cherries and pecans....

And this time, I took procedural pictures.  I missed one step, but hey, first time, right?


Dump Cake

  • 1 20-oz can crushed pineapple, undrained
  • 1 21-oz can cherry pie filling
  • 1 box yellow cake mix
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 1 stick butter, cut into thin slices
Preheat your oven to 350 F and grease a 13" x 9" pan.  Spread the undrained pineapple evenly on the bottom.  Spoon the cherry pie filling evenly over the pineapple.  Pour the dry yellow cake mix evenly over the cherries.  Sprinkle the chopped pecans over the cake mix.  Lay the slices of butter evenly over the whole thing.  Bake 48-53 minutes, until the pecans are golden brown and the sides are bubbling cherry syrup.  Serve warm with oh, say, vanilla ice cream, or at room temperature on its own.

Now, again, with pictures!

The pineapple is the easy part, just dump it in (like the name!) and spread it out.
Don't dump the cherries in, or the pineapple will just get pushed to the side.  Spoon those out, and scrape as much syrup off the sides of the can as possible.  It's good stuff.
The cake mix is pretty easy too, I cut a corner off the bag and poured it out.  Don't worry too much about lumps, they'll sort themselves out under all that butter.
This is where I forgot a step.  See the pecans on top of the cake mix, there on the left?  Do that.  Then carve up the stick of butter.
You don't have to make a butter checkerboard...mine just worked out that way.  Into the oven!
And out of the oven!

No comments:

Post a Comment